Sadly many people save cooking a ham for Christmas, it need not be that way, we use this all the time in our house and it feeds the whole family for the week, add it to quiches, pasta, sandwiches, it really is so versatile. Adding our Caribbean Rum twist on this one take it to a whole new level, whats not to love..Rum..Ham… and a taste of the Caribbean!!
This recipe will work with larger joints as well but bear in mind that the cooking times will vary.
I cook all my ham joints with the same cooking time rule.
When roasting, 20 mins per 450gr of meat
when boiling 25mins per 450gr meat.
2kg Uncooked Ham joint.
1 onion peeled and cut into wedges
1tbsp Black peppercorns.
The Greedy Fox Caribbean Glaze ingredients.
1tbsp Rum. Dark, Golden, White, Spiced. Use your preferred favourite.
1tbsp rape seed oil.
1/4 Fresh Lime, Juice only.
Pre heat oven 160 deg
1. In a large deep sided roasting dish add the bay leaf, onion and black pepper and the ham fill the pan a quarter of the way with water.
2. Cover with tin foil and cook for 20 mins per 450g of meat.
3. Mix all the glaze ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Remove from oven and drain away juice, leave to cool and carefully peel off skin. Score the layer of fat left behind in a diagonal direction.
5. Pour over the glaze and leave to marinate for an hour continually basting throughout the hour.
6.Preheat oven to 180degrees
7. Return to the oven and cook for 1hr, basting every 20mins. If the ham is starting to over brown cover loosely with tin foil.
8.Leave to cool in the juices, keeping basting until sticky.
Enjoy hot or cold.